10 Ways to Overcome Fear with Yoga.
Fear is an emotion induced by perceived danger or threat, which causes physiological changes and ultimately behavioral changes. Sometimes fear stems from real threats, but it can also originate from imagined dangers.
You cannot avoid the global state of fear humankind appears to be enveloped in right now. Wherever you look there is fear....even walking past people on the street or going in the post office there are looks of fear if you get to close to someone.
My yoga practice has always been my sanctuary (hence my business name, which refers to the inner sanctuary within) Yoga is the place I run to when I need to hide. It is the place I go to when I need answers & inspiration. So it´s no surprise that now more than ever yoga is thriving in the world, even if studios are closed and teachers are struggling to find their way in this new online world. According to the International Yoga Federation, a whopping 300 million people practice yoga in the world.
Why Now, Why Yoga?
Yoga originated from India has been around for th
thousands of years, it is thought that the founding father of yoga was a sage named Patanjali who has been credited with the classical work the yoga sutras of Pantanjali. A kind of guidebook on how to gain mastery over the mind and emotions and spiritual growth. There are many wonderful styles of yoga in the world. I have always practiced Hatha yoga, the yoga of activity a powerful method of transformation that requires body and mind.
My Yoga Journey:
My birth into yoga happened in my early 20´s, I was not in a good place, I was heartbroken and had lost my way a bit in life. I started my yoga journey with a six-week Ashtanga course and the high I felt when I left that first class I will never forget. It was the first time something natural had taken me into that state where It literally stopped me thinking. My practise has taken so many twists and turns over the last 20 years of practise and 10 years of teaching that I am not sure what style I practise or teach these days. I just know that Yoga makes me feel good and it helps me overcome my fears on so many levels and I want to share this with the world.
Here are 10 Ways Yoga helps us Overcome Fear;
1. Fear of the unknown - for many taking the plunge and going to a class is overcoming fear. You might be a beginner and not be able to touch your toes but be brave and do it.
2. Overcome the fear in your head - Yoga gets us out of our heads and gives us the mental space to just stop thinking.
3. Overcome the obstacles holding you back – Yoga helps us work through the blockages in our mind, body, and spirit that can hold us back, and often fear is a huge obstacle for us.
4. Overcome fear with the breath - The essence of any yoga practice is the breath & in some cases, it is yoga that teaches us how to breathe correctly. Deep breathing reduces blood pressure and reduces cortisol in the body (the stress hormone)
5. Overcome fear physically - The physical practice of yoga (asana) is purifying and is a great way to move the body depending on what style of yoga you chose it is a great way to move your body and build strength and flexibility and it benefits every aspect of your health.
6. Overcome fear with stillness - The goal of yoga is to be able to sit for longer in meditation. Meditation is such a powerful practice to helps us work through the layers of our psyche, like peeling an onion.
7. Overcome fear with FEAR - Some yoga poses are scary and we really have to face our fears just to try them. Yoga teaches us that failure is normal and that we all fall on our faces from time to time.
8. Overcome fear with play - Yoga connects us to our inner child, how often as an adult do you roll around on the floor and completely let go, inviting play into our adult lives is wonderful and so needed right now.
9. Overcome fear with persistence and determination - Yoga teaches us to be patient to be disciplined and to show up on that mat every day even no matter what (even if its to cry on it get on it).
10. Overcome a fear-based mindset - Yoga can really support us if we get into a negative mindset it helps us shift from a negative to a positive mindset of love and gratitude and of reverence for all living beings, sending out peace and love to the world.
We are so blessed now that we can try so many different styles of yoga available online. I have just launched a new online yoga package The Five Elements to Purify the Body designed around the five elements of Earth, Water, Fire, Air & Space. This package is designed for busy people with no time for a full class and it consists of six mini-classes that you can do as and when you have time as well as membership to a private group with guidance in the community by me and some extras too.
I would love to share more with you if you would like to join, each month I will run a new theme.